The weather did not cooperate, and I had a lovely clear fall night for grilled cheese sandwiches and board games (and too much wine.) At least it was crisp–three weeks ago the weather in Minneapolis found out what the date was and got all “Oh, it’s fall? Let’s do this” and it’s been puffy vest-wearingly chilly since.
As such, it was a good night for grilled cheeses, tomato soup that I fucked up but was still edible (I woke up in the middle of the night and thought, “Shit! I forgot to add water! No wonder it was so pasty!) and broccoli salad that went over quite well.
We played The World Needs a Jetpack Unicorn (which it obviously does) and I kicked ass because I am a wonderful bullshitter. If you like games like Balderdash, this one is for you.
Having a night of “grown up fun” that devolves into drinking way too much wine and remembering your age when you’re inexplicably hung over the next day? 5 songs for your playlist:
1. “Hollywood Forever Cemetery Sings,” Father John Misty (weather be damned)
2. “Spanish Bombs,” the Clash
3. “Chips Ahoy!” the Hold Steady (“a song about a boy, a girl, and a horse,” is how Craig Finn introduced it last month)
4. “3, 6, 9,” Cat Power (an apropos song if there ever was one)
5. “Carpetbaggers,” Jenny Lewis